Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What's the right martial art for you?

Today's question has two right answers.
     1.  If you're a veteran martial artist, your current style is right for you.  Debating which martial art is better than another is like arguing over how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.  Now, if you want to begin learning a second or third martial art after age 50, by all means go for it.  Learning new things helps your brain stay young.  But don't drop your current style because someone told you it's not "right."
     2.  If you've never tried the martial arts, then the "right" style is the one that feels most comfortable for your over-50 body.  Many martial-arts schools will offer low-cost or even free trial lessons, so you should check out several styles before you decide what feels best.  In addition to assessing how welcome the head instructor and students make you feel, you should look to see whether the training seems to favor hand techniques over leg techniques, or leg techniques over hand techniques, or jumping/spinning kicks over . . . well, you get the idea.  If your upper body is relatively weak, maybe a style that favors kicking is best for you.  But if you've got a powerful upper body and poor hip flexibility, then maybe you should look for the school that focuses on punching, grappling, and the like.
     When I first began dabbling in the martial arts back around 1968, I tried several styles before settling on taekwondo.  At the time I weighed about 140 pounds soaking wet and didn't think that trading punches with muggers would get me very far.  What I found in taekwondo was a martial art that emphasized strong kicking techniques.  This meant that I could keep attackers at leg's length rather than arm's length, and it suggested that my kicks would deliver more force than an opponent's fists.  Had I been 6'4" and 220 pounds, maybe I would have made a different choice.
     Something else that you absolutely must consider if you're over 50 -- and especially if you're perhaps 60 or 70 -- is the intensity of the training involved.  Does the school offer a class for seniors only, or will you be mixed in with students who are 18 or 20?  Trying to keep up with 20-year-olds, especially if the training involves sparring, can be a losing game.  Related to this is the school's schedule.  If adult classes are held exclusively at night -- around 8:00 p.m., let's say -- you should ask your doctor whether an intense workout at that time of day is something your body will accept.  As it happens, mine won't.  I can tolerate high-intensity workouts early in the day, but the same workout at night will generate heart-rhythm problems.  There's no point in fighting nature on this.  If you're 65, not 25, learn to adapt.
     Bottom line: The right martial art is the one that gets you off the couch and into the training hall.  If you've got a how-to story you'd like to share -- something that will inspire other seniors to either resume or take up the martial-arts life for the first time -- please share it with us.
  

2 comments:

  1. I am a female 66 years of age, in excellent health, but with a nagging lower back pain, that gets worse in the mornings. I have recently joined a Martial Art school, that teaches a combination of power yoga and martial arts. I have attended 5 classes so far, I love it. I feel that I have more energy and my lower back is not so sore. I have a very good teacher, who encourages me to do my best, and know the limits. I think that is the secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same age and finding that yoga and taekwondo are a great fit. If you're happy with this senior-friendly school, please share its name and location, and I'll write something about it in an upcoming post. Thanks for checking in.

      Delete

Many thanks for sharing your comments with Seniors in the Martial Arts. Best wishes for continued success with your training.