Saturday, June 1, 2013

The form is the thing

What you call it depends upon the martial art that you study: poomsae, kata, form, or any of several other names.  But since most tournaments simply list it as "forms," that's what I'll do for this present discussion.  A form is a meticulously choreographed set of martial-arts techniques -- punches, kicks, blocks, stances, and such -- and represents serious combat against a number of imagined opponents.  In my view, the form is also the solid foundation upon which senior martial artists must build their training programs.
   Since I'll be turning 67 this summer, I can no longer handle the kinds of training sessions that introduced me to Taekwondo more than 40 years ago.  Yes, a few things have changed -- cardio fitness, endurance, strength, flexibility, and speed among them.  And since I want to continue my training for many years to come, I would be foolish to disregard the obvious physical changes that come with age.  So I continually modify my training program to respect those changes while pushing as hard as I can.
   The one element of training that doesn't change, though, is my emphasis on forms.  Each form that you learn from white belt through the various black-belt ranks is a masterful lesson in how to apply proper techniques in a combat setting.  Look at it this way: each time you execute a form properly it's like having a master instructor guiding you through key techniques and combinations.  That's because each form you learn was created by master instructors of a given style in order to standardize training throughout the world.  So the Sipjin [5th Dan] form that I practice in Kukkiwon Taekwondo should look the same as the Sipjin form being practiced by someone in Korea, Chile, or Australia.
   Essentially forms represent a comprehensive curriculum for each martial art.  Once you have learned a variety of techniques from your master, you learn how to execute them properly in forms.  You begin with simple forms that rely on basic techniques, and you slowly move on to more complex forms that require a far greater understanding of how advanced techniques can be used in combination against multiple opponents. Along the way, forms deliver two important lessons:
       -- Discipline: a form isn't worth doing if it's lazy, sloppy, or casual.  You must master each movement and deliver each technique as though your life depends on it.  After all, the techniques of the form could very well become a matter of life and death in actual combat.
       -- The power of meditation: in order to execute a form seriously, you must close your mind to the clutter of noises, actions, and intrusive thoughts that surround your inner self.  In my view, practicing forms is an elegant form of meditation that empowers you to forget about "stuff" and to focus on the present moment.
   Since I'm on the topic, I should tell you what a form IS NOT.  It is not an item on a checklist to get you from white belt to black belt in, let's say, two years.  Yes, some schools crank out black belts at an alarming rate, and many of those black belts haven't reached adolescence yet.  But a serious martial-arts school doesn't rely on a checklist in order to advance students from one rank to the next.  Instead, it relies on the student's willingness to push himself or herself to the limit and upon his or her ability to master the necessary techniques.  Knowing all the forms required to reach 1st Dan doesn't mean a student is ready to wear a black belt.  But mastering forms is an important step toward a lifetime of success in the martial arts.
   Do you know of senior-friendly schools in your area?  If so, let me know about them, and I'll be happy to mention them in this blog.  In the meantime, enjoy practicing those forms.

1 comment:

  1. Just ran across your site through Baby Boomer sensei. I am in Naples Fl and run Bucket List Martial Arts (.com) Reading some of your stuff is like I am reading my own thoughts. How is your senior class going?

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for sharing your comments with Seniors in the Martial Arts. Best wishes for continued success with your training.